Deliberate Agrarian
Snippet #2

Sheet Metal Mulch

Dateline: 15 April 2014

click picture to see a larger view

Yesterday was overcast, so the picture above is a little dark. But it shows the red metal roofing walkway that runs through my garden. The walkway is 39" wide and 71' long. I can easily walk and easily push my garden cart down this central walkway, and I will not have to be concerned with weeds growing there. Sheet metal roofing as mulch makes sense in a practical garden (as opposed to a "show garden"). I bought that used roofing back in 1999 after seeing the amazing garden my friend, Steve Lonsky, grows using old sheet metal as mulch. I wrote about using metal roofing in the garden back in This Old Blog Post. Check it out, and be sure to click the link at that post to see an amazing picture of Steve in his garden (with sheet metal roofing mulch in the background). Steve is the best gardener I know. Sheet metal roofing mulch is one of his secrets. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that idea! We used 2 x 10 inch boards, but weren't as wide as I would have liked.