Feeling Overwhelmed

Yesterday morning early I was working in my garden. A half hour before it was time to get ready for church, I started feeling poorly. My joints started aching. I got chilled. It was pushing 90 degrees outside and muggy and I took a steaming hot bath. Then I went to bed with several blankets and a down sleeping bag over me. It was some sort of a virus. My temperature went to 102. I felt real bad the rest of the day and night.

Today I took a sick day off from work. I was useless. I spent a good part of the day dozing in a recliner. I felt like I was an old man. This afternoon I spent some time in my shop filling orders, in super-slow motion, for chicken plucker parts and books.

Fortunately, I don’t get sick often and I’m feeling a lot better this evening. I think I’ll live.

But I’m feeling overwhelmed. There is a lot going on around here and I’m falling behind with some things.

Therefore I have decided to take a little break from blogging. Just a little one. I’ll be back on June 18th. That day will be the three-year anniversay of The Deliberate Agrarian

See you then.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray your much-needed break is a refreshing one.
I understand being overwhelmed! We still have a goat barn in progress, fencing in progress, garden in progress (in desperate need of weeding) on top of all the regular day to day things... and I'm in the first trimester of pregnancy number six and the heat and humidity here is hitting me harder than ever. I'm drained! I sit around half my days feeling useless. It's something if I can get the housework done and pick the cabbage worms off my cauliflower & broccoli. :) I pay the kids a penny a worm if they help! And directing my little housecleaners is easily done from the couch after reading them a good story. I know this stage won't last long, I'm trying to not be too hard on myself (or my family). I sure admire the older generation of women who had many children and worked so very hard...with no A/C...

~K~

Tabletop Homestead said...

Hope you get to feeling better, Herrick. We look forward to your return.

Judy

Anonymous said...

Herrick,
You are the MAN! I love reading your blog and have been inspired deeply by your words. It has led me closer to God in my faith and closer to the Earth in my ways. Thank you for that.
One word of advise. When I start feeling overwhelmed with things (and they are that, just things) I concentrate not on getting caught up, but rather reducing the rate at which I am falling behind. A simple plan that works for me. (:
Mick

foutfolk said...

You can't leave us like this...we depend on you to post us up! Where will we turn to for anecdotal stories and agrarian inspiration? Where will we end up without the....O.K. i am taking it too far now. :)

Hope you have a great rest.

garth

Julie said...

I hope you feel better.
I just found your blog so I am looking forward to browsing some in your absence.

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself Herrick :-)

Blogging can wait - life can't.

The Midland Agrarian said...

Hi Herrick,
Prayers for your good health.
Granny is right. When I get busy, the first thing to let go of is the blog.